GOOD NEWS! Job Exchanges now run year-round!
The new "year-round" PBCLS, Library Cooperative and PBCLA Job Exchange Program is now underway! All information service providers - professionals and paraprofessionals - are welcome to participate in the exchange program to network and learn from other providers in different library and information agency settings.
Throughout the years, job exchange participants have visited local public and academic libraries, non-traditional libraries and information agencies as diverse as the Law Library, FAU Special Collections and the Society of the Four Arts. Each year both visitor and host have found the exchanges to be enjoyable and rewarding. These exchanges/visits have allowed information service providers an opportunity to meet, exchange information and share experiences.
The Job Exchange initiative has evolved into a "self-service" exchange program over the years. Interested staff "sign up" by completing an online request form and then contact a library location from the list provided to coordinate and schedule their own visit.
Follow these simple steps for a perfect exchange experience:
- Obtain supervisor approval to participate in a Job Exchange at another library or information agency.
- Choose a library or information agency that you would like to visit from the list provided. Click on the links to go directly to their web site for more details about that location.
- Return to the list for address, contact, and schedule information as well as comments and highlights from past visits.
- Complete a participation form to register your exchange. An acknowledgement email will be sent to you (and your supervisor for PBCLS staff) with what you submitted.
- Contact your selected exchange location directly to arrange a visit on a mutually agreeable day, time and duration. Share any specific areas of interest you may have and want to explore, i.e. research, collection development, genealogy, children's activities, Inter-Library Loan, etc.
- Confirm your visit with the host location several days prior to your visit to ensure that they are still expecting you, to determine parking arrangements, entry to the building, lunch plans if visiting for a full day, etc.
- VISIT, LEARN and ENJOY yourself!
Complete the brief online Job Exchange Activity Report following your exchange.
* Non-PBCLS Participants: Please complete the Job Exchange Activity Report here.
* PBCLS Participants: Please complete the "Staff Development Training Activity Report" on the Staff Resources Page.
Thank you for your participation!
If you have any questions or concerns please contact:
David Scott - Committee Chair
(Greenacres Branch Library)
(561) 963-0140; firstname.lastname@example.org