Palm Beach County Library Association Bylaws
Article I. NAME
The name of this organization shall be: PALM BEACH COUNTY LIBRARY ASSOCIATION.
Article II. PURPOSE
The Palm Beach County Library Association is a county‐wide professional library organization committed to the support and advancement of libraries and those interested in library service, through professional development and timely communications.
The Palm Beach County Library Association will fulfill this mission by:
•Promoting professional growth of its members
• Supporting innovative library services throughout the county
•Encouraging cooperation among libraries, librarians, staff and supporters
•Informing the public of library matters
• Providing professional support and assistance to members of PBCLA
Article III. MEMBERS
Section A. Eligibility
Membership is open to any person interested in library service.
Section B. Dues
1. A dues schedule shall be set by the Board of Directors and reviewed annually.
2. Membership may be accepted at any time and will be valid one year from the date paid.
3. Holding office, making motions, debating, voting, and all other privileges of membership shall be limited to those persons whose dues are paid.
Article IV. OFFICERS AND THEIR ELECTION
Section A. Officers
1. Officers shall be the President, Past President, President Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chair and three (3) Directors. Directors shall be: from academia (1), from public libraries (1) and at large (1). It is preferred that half of the directors be elected each year. When circumstances do not allow half the directors to be elected each year, length of term may be adjusted to maintain the balance of the election cycle, but not to exceed 3 years.
2. The officers shall perform the usual duties of office and those duties prescribed by the
Bylaws and by the parliamentary authority adopted by the Association.
3. All Board offices up for election, with the exception of Immediate Past President, shall be elected at the Annual Meeting and assume their official duties at the close of the Annual Meeting.
4. The term of office for President, Past President, and President Elect shall be one (1) year.
5. The term of office for Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chair and five (5) Directors shall be
(2) years with the ability to be elected for one (1) additional successive term in the same office.
6. A vacancy in the membership of the Board, except in the office of President, shall be filled by majority vote of the remaining members of the Board electing an eligible member of the Association to serve out the remainder of the term. If the office of President becomes vacant, the President Elect shall fill it, in the capacity of Acting President, until the next election.
7. An officer having three (3) consecutive unexcused absences from Board and/or general membership meetings may be removed from office. Removal of office shall require a majority vote of two thirds (2/3) of the Board.
Section B. Nominations
1. The Nominating Committee shall consist of a minimum of 3 Association members selected by the Board: (1) from an academic library, (1) from a public library, and (1) from an “at large” library.
2. It shall be the duty of this committee to nominate candidates, with the nominees’ consent, for the offices to be filled at the Annual Meeting.
3. Before the election at the Annual Meeting, additional nominations from the floor shall be permitted.
4. Election of officers shall be by ballot, except when there is only one nominee for an office.
Article V. MEETINGS
Meetings will be set by the Board, at a time and a date convenient for the members and the host library.
The Annual Meeting will be held in the last quarter of the fiscal year.
The members present shall constitute a quorum.
Article VI. BOARD
The Board shall consist of the duly elected officers.
The Board shall conduct the general supervision of the affairs of the Association.
Regular meetings of the Board shall be held at the times and dates to be determined by the Board. The President shall call the first meeting.
A quorum shall be a majority of Board members.
Article VII. COMMITTEES
Committees may be created by the Board as required.
The makeup, purpose, and governance of each committee will be included in the charge.
Article VIII. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Parliamentary authority shall be Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, latest edition, when not in conflict with these Bylaws.
Article IX. AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended by a two‐thirds vote of the members present and voting at any regular meeting of the Association.